(4-6 hours per week)
Fee CHF 1,950
Next program starts 26 February 2024
Certification Receive IMD certificate upon completion
Make a meaningful contribution to corporate governance
What is the role and responsibility of a board? How can governance make or break an organization? How can good governance contribute to society?
Effective governance is a key driver of growth and, increasingly, a distinctive competitive advantage for any organization. IMD’s Mastering Board Governance program will give you a deep understanding of the principles and practices of good governance, and the roles and responsibilities of a board.
Throughout your learning journey, you’ll gain hands-on knowledge that you will put to immediate use by participating in weekly immersive board simulations.
This program will build your understanding of effective business decision-making and group dynamics and enable you to make meaningful contributions to a board.
Gain a solid understanding of how governance drives organizational performance.
Expand your knowledge of the role and responsibilities of a board and all other governance participants and stakeholders.
Know how to identify and assess the four underlying pillars of board effectiveness, using a concrete framework.
Learn how to proactively identify governance risks and mitigate them effectively.
Explore core areas of board work such as strategy, risks, stakeholders, M&A, succession, ESG, and stewardship.
You will benefit from this program if you are:
- A professional, a manager or an executive aspiring to become a board member
- A recently appointed board member preparing for your first mandate
- A family business member seeking to deepen your knowledge of board governance
- A Board Secretary
- A C-level executive interested in building on your basic knowledge of governance
Benefit from a complimentary profile assessment to see if this is the right program for you.
Mastering Board Governance is a fantastic collaborative experience that I recommend to all professionals interested in governance best practices, whether they are new to the subject or looking for continuous improvement. The program helped to improve my skills and was a source of inspiration.
Mastering Board Governance is an absolute must, not only for current and aspiring board members, but also for executive board members and senior management as it gives many insights into their collaboration with the board. It was a very exciting journey, with challenging and interesting teamwork with other participants.
Mastering Board Governance is an amazingly efficient course for improving your board’s effectiveness and anticipating risks. I enhanced my understanding of group dynamics, my ability to identify when and why a board underperforms and overall increased my added value as a board member for technological startups.
Participants, coaches, and faculty share highlights about the impact and experience of IMD’s Mastering Board Governance online program.
Your online learning journey
Mastering Board Governance is delivered over five consecutive weeks, requiring a time commitment of 4-6 hours per week. Each week covers specific content, with clear learning objectives and deliverables to help you measure the impact of your weekly learning.
You will gain in-depth knowledge of governance and the role of a board. Drawing on the expertise of IMD’s Global Board Center, you will learn from examples of governance successes and failures in various industries and locations, and apply these learnings to your own context.
You and your online classmates will complete specific tasks and challenges during weekly immersive board simulations. Your ‘board’ and your individual performance will be rated, and you will benefit from feedback and guidance from expert faculty and coaches.
- Be able to articulate what governance is and how it drives organizational performance
- Identify what defines good governance, notably the drivers and key characteristics
- Identify the role and responsibilities of the board in shaping governance
- Understand the importance of the board in driving organizational governance
- Understand the essential responsibilities of the board of directors
- Assess how a board reacts in times of crisis
- Evaluate the main functions of board supervision and control
- Assess the role of the board vs the role of the management
- Identify the major sources of board failure
- Identify the drivers of board effectiveness
- Gain the ability to assess a board against the first pillar of the “Four Pillars of Board Effectiveness” framework: People Quality, Focus and Dedication
- Articulate the importance of Pillars 2, 3 and 4 (information architecture, structures and group dynamics) to governance
- Diagnose a board’s effectiveness along the above dimensions
- Understand the board’s role in the strategy and risk processes
- Deepen awareness of critical board processes, such as managing CEO succession and M&As
- Define stakeholder engagement for boards, including stakeholder mapping
- Identify the board role in overseeing ESG and integrity
- Reflect on Stewardship and the Future of Governance
Meet your Program Director
Professor Cossin is the founder and director of the IMD Global Board Center, the originator of the Four Pillars of Board Effectiveness methodology, and an advocate of stewardship.
He works with senior leaders, executive committees, and boards to provide the latest thinking on best-in-class governance, board effectiveness, the governance and selection of investments, board dynamics, and strategy design. His latest research focuses on stewardship and how we can foster organizations to have long-term positive social impact while creating economic value for all.
Our structured, yet flexible online programs are designed for impact and delivered for you. Explore what makes the IMD online program experience exceptional.
Programs designed and taught by IMD faculty, world-renowned experts in their fields.
One-on-one support from an experienced executive coach to ensure that learning objectives are attained.
Group and pair work with participants from around the world enriches learning through exposure to fresh perspectives.
Micro-learning focused on knowledge retention and actionable insights.
Carefully designed multimedia material for a dynamic online experience.
Programs grounded in practical assignments guarantee the immediate application of new knowledge and techniques.
Length: 5 weeks (4-6 hours per week).
Your paths towards certified board excellence
IMD board diplomas
Your paths towards certified board excellence
Successful completion of this program takes you one step closer to joining IMD’s powerful alumni network.
How board directors make a real difference
Inspired by the latest research and drawing on more than 40 years of board education experience, High Performance Boards examines issues related to board performance and effectiveness. For non-executive board members and chairpersons only.
IMD NEXUS members receive a number of seats in addition to a wide range of further benefits and services.