Switzerland has come top for the first time in the 33-year history of IMD’s World Competitiveness Ranking, in a year that reflected the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on economic…
The mission of World Competitiveness Center
We are dedicated to the advancement of knowledge on world competitiveness by offering benchmarking services for countries and companies using the latest and most relevant data on the subject.
For more than 30 years, the IMD World Competitiveness Center has pioneered research on how nations and enterprises compete to lay the foundations for future prosperity.
The competitiveness of nations is probably one of the most significant developments in modern management, and IMD intends to remain the leader in this field.
The Center cooperates with a network of partners in 58 countries. It provide governments and the business and academic communities with the following publications and services:
- World Competitiveness Rankings (Competitiveness, Digital Competitiveness and Talent)
- Workshops/Mega Dives on competitiveness
- Special country/regional competitiveness reports
- World Competitiveness Online database
- Smart City Index (by the Smart City Observatory)
To keep pace with the dynamic reality of competitiveness, we are committed to furthering our cutting-edge research and to broadening our portfolio of activities.
Publication dates of the rankings
- 17 June 2021 at 10am CEST: release of IMD World Competitiveness Ranking 2021
- 29 September 2021: release of IMD World Digital Competitiveness Ranking 2021
- 28 October 2021: release of Smart City Index 2021 by the Smart City Observatory (SCO)
- 9 December 2021: release of IMD World Talent Ranking 2021
World Competitiveness Ranking 2021
Innovation, digitalization, welfare benefits and social cohesion are key to economic performance in 2021 ranking which see Switzerland (1st), Sweden (2nd), Denmark (3rd), Netherlands (4th), Singapore (5th)
Top-performing economies are characterized by varying degrees of investment in innovation, diversified economic activities, and supportive public policy, according to the experts at the World Competitiveness Center.
Taiwan remains one of the most successful economies to tackle the dual problem of the health and economic crisis of the past 18 months and entered the top ten for the first time since 2012 in the IMD World…
China is set to become the world economic power of the 21stcentury. A booming corporate sector in the most populated country in the world, with the horsepower provided by a dominant public sector, it has moved the…