The Foundation Stage develops your capabilities across business functions. It comprises two parts: first, Foundations for Business Leadership (FBL), a 20-day intensive program at IMD, and subsequently, a five-week distance learning module - Advanced Management Concepts.
Foundations for Business Leadership
20 days face-to-face learning offered up to 4 times a year
During Foundations for Business Leadership, you will study the core functions and processes of a global organization:
- Business model innovation and entrepreneurship
- Marketing and operations
- Finance and accounting
- Strategy and industry analysis
- Ethics and sustainability
And you will learn to:
- Strengthen your knowledge and understanding of key business functions
- Become aware of how value is created by integrating functions
- Master the application of these new and enhanced capabilities to complex business issues
- Gain a deeper understanding of strategy implementation challenges
- Get assessed on your understanding of business fundamentals, and your effectiveness as a team member
We will take you through a cross-disciplinary exploration of the key challenges faced by organizations and their business leaders today - and most likely in the future:
- How to respond to changes in customer needs
- Driving business model innovation
- Managing complex organizations
- Leveraging globalization
- Industry trends and business trends
- Uncertainties in the economic climate
- Technological evolutions and their impact on business
And we will use this context, to develop your skills and integrate business fundamentals.
Advanced Management Concepts
5 weeks distance learning offered three times per year
After Foundations for Business Leadership, you enter a distance learning module called Advanced Management Concepts, where you continue to expand your knowledge and skills in strategy, finance, decision analysis and marketing.
We have designed the distance learning portion with you in mind as it can be completed without requiring you to take any time away from the office.
During an intensive five-week period, you will work through video lectures, text books, cases and assignments, attend live video sessions with our Faculty and then prepare for a final exam in each topic.
Successful completion of the final exams is a requirement for entry into the Mastery Stage of the IMD Executive MBA program.
See the EMBA Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) for more details regarding the Foundation stage.