Through our research and educational work with family businesses from all over the world, we have gained some extraordinary insights into the dynamics which can either drive family businesses to outstanding achievements - often over many generations - or to failure - often with long-lasting pains for the families involved.
Two important lessons can be drawn from our global research:
Our research is based on real life
- Each family business develops its own particular history which is made up of both gains and pains, but is essentially based on a culture of resilience and the unshakable commitment to succeed in the long-run
- Each family business is essentially a story about people: entrepreneurs and their families whose very personal values and visions leave an indelible imprint on the businesses which they have created and which they continue to manage in subsequent generations
- Embrace the complete array of complex challenges faced by families in business
- Take a multi-disciplinary approach, which recognizes the need for rigorously analyzing how "softer" emotional and personality-driven issues interact with the "harder" business, strategy and governance-driven issues
- Address the needs of leading, multi-generational family businesses from around the globe
- Offer a global perspective, leading the way to diverse, practical and sustainable applications and solutions
Our highly applied and practice-oriented approach in the classroom removes the divide between research and practice, and our easy-to-use frameworks and structures facilitate discussion and implementation. BooksArticles (TCs, PFMs, insights@imd)Funding & Donations
In addition, over the past two decades, IMD has undertaken numerous research projects in collaboration with outside stakeholders. We are open to new initiatives and would be delighted to hear from you and learn about your project.
IMD is grateful to Dr. Stephan Schmidheiny and Dr. Peter Wild for the creation of Chairs which have been instrumental in conducting research and educational activities in the field of family business.
| About us | Overview & Mission
| Family perspectives | Family member testimonials - videos
| Family member testimonials - quotes
| About successes and failures
| Programs | Open enrollment programs
| Custom programs
| Insights & Publications | Overview
| Publications | Books
| GFBC Community