A great way for managers at all levels to improve their capabilties, inspire their teams and achieve outstanding business results is through leadership skills training. Successful leaders are able to transform organizations, enhance value creation, create efficiencies and engage their employees to deliver better results.
Leadership skills training typically encourages managers and leaders to:
- Find new, innovative ways of developing and managing people
- Develop new business opportunities
- Tackle the broader societal issues the face
In this post we'll detail three key questions:
- What are the key benefits of leadership skills training and why should individuals, or organizations be interested?
- What are the different situations wherein leadership skills training becomes helpful?
- What aspects should you be looking for in leadership skills training programs?
The 8 key benefits of a Leadership skills training
1. You will be able to formulate and implement effective leadership strategies.
2. You will develop the capabilities needed to increase your team's work productivity.
3. It will help you decrease employee turnover and increase engagement, creating a strong and united team.
5. It will help you to identify and improve your leadership style.
6. You will develop your communication skills, mastering the art of negotiation, influence and conflict management.
7. You will become more confident as a leader and find new ways of influencing the teams you lead.
8. You will learn how to effectively connect to people, developing the ability to give constructive feedback, and critically seek the feedback of your team.
Want to get more key insights about leadership? Download this exclusive article
3 Key career stages where Leadership skills training is important
Early to mid-career leadership skills training
Young managers can prepare for greater responsibility and accelerate their careers by improving their personal leadership skills. This can be done through a leadership skills training program that improves self-awareness and boosts skills for motivating teams.
Mid-career leadership skills training
Business leadership training can help mid-career managers to create higher value for their company in today's fast-changing global environment. Leadership training often includes training on business development and business strategy as well as leadership coaching to further hone skills for leading functions and complex businesses. This career stage is also a good time to consider business management degrees, such as an Executive MBA that include a leadership stream.
Top level leadership skills training
As a senior executive, chief executive officer or board member, you need to maintain your ability to find and leverage new business opportunities, drive innovation, and lead with conviction.
A business management course specifically designed for this high level can help you develop the necessary skills for inspirational leadership - and reinforce your impact to lead your company with confidence.
Download your exclusive leadership article by IMD's world renowned experts
Leadership is the key skill for your career. Gain key insights thanks to this exclusive leadership article, accessible to our top-raking IMD leadership program students.
How to choose a Leadership skills training course
Before looking at different leadership courses, think about the specific leadership skills you wish to develop.
For example, do you wish to improve your ability to motivate your team? To resolve conflict? Are you looking for training on business leadership? Do you need to build leadership skills in order to do your current job more effectively, or in order to take on a higher position?
The answers to questions like these will help define the exact type of leadership skills training you should look for. It's improtant that you are able to identify the motivating factors beforehand and track your progress afterwards in order to assess the impact of your training. Not just how it affected you as a leader, but also how it affected your team, and your organization.