Head of Engagement & Technology (IT)
The Job’s mission
The Head of Engagement & Technology (HET) is driving the execution of strategic priorities related to IMD’s relationships with IT partners providing software platforms (as a service) development, implementation and maintenance services. The HET also ensures transparent and effective governance of projects involving technology, including risk management, preparing and leading steering committee meetings, projects prioritization and their coordinated execution across all business areas of IMD. Furthermore, the HET strongly influences process and solution designs, drives and oversees product development to fit the rapidly evolving requirements of internal and external stakeholders to ensure efficient and effective operations and outstanding customer experience.
The HET is a highly commercial and business oriented role that requires extensive internal and external interfacing with a number of constituents, implementation of best practices and sound judgement to arrive at the right outcomes for IMD. Under the leadership of the IMD CIO, the HET partners and coordinates closely its activities with, in particular the establishment and execution of IMD’s technical vision and technological development, the Head of Information Security.
Key activities & accountabilities
- Responsible and accountable for the oversight of all aspects of product management operations including demand management, service delivery, and vendor management across the department
- Articulate, set, and deliver the vision and strategy for product management, while ensuring that they are in line with the institutions’s core vision, mission, and values
- Play a strategic role and provide technical leadership seeking to deliver technologies to meet business needs and identify new opportunities for further growth
- Lead day-to-day product management towards achieving business goals through fostering of innovation, prioritization of initiatives, and coordinating the deployment, evaluation, and management of the current and future technological systems across IMD
- Continuously engage with business stakeholders to guarantee that the goals, vision, and actions within the department remain aligned with both short-term and long-term strategies. Create a healthy and collaborative environment, adapt and implement an organizational structure that supports effective execution of technology initiatives
- Play the role of a trusted advisor for other executives and key stakeholders in matters of technological nature
- Accountable for operating efficiency of the department as well as the effective delivery of services and solutions. Also accountable for the tracking, development, and control of periodical departmental budgets
- Mentor key product management and development personnel, encouraging their professional growth, essentially readying them for the occupation of his position in the future
- Ensure consistent and high-quality service delivery and support for all core technology processes and services, enabling smooth daily operations across all sites / services / applications, both internal and customer-facing
- Maintain knowledge of best practices and industry trends within the department adopting the most suitable trends, enabling constant improvement in technological services, both internal and consumer-facing
- Ensure transparent and effective governance of projects involving technology, including risk management, preparing and leading steering committee meetings, projects prioritization, planning and their coordinated execution including change management activities
- Establish and manage vendor relationships, regularly monitor vendor performance, take timely corrective actions towards meeting performance objectives, achieving quality improvements and satisfaction of business stakeholders
Education & Experience
- Graduate university degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or another related field
- 10 years of working experience in a senior product management and development / devops position within a fast-paced and fast-evolving environment
- Extensive and successful managerial experience leading a technical product management / development team and/or complex IT/Business transformation programs
- Experience with technology vendor management and contract negotiations
- Experience in strategic planning and execution as well as a proven ability to set the vision and strategy of technological operations and to develop effective roadmaps
- Highly comfortable with architectural challenges and have the necessary experience to address them; understanding of APIs
- Experience in bearing financial accountability for technological department(s), precise budgeting, headcount planning, and personnel decisions
- Extensive industry knowledge with an eye towards the future
- Communication Skills: impeccable communication skills both written and verbal
- clarity of communications will greatly determine the effectiveness with which tasks are executed across the department and by the vendors
- exceptional communication skills are needed in a collaborative capacity
- drafting reports and recommendation for the executive committee as well as key stakeholders advising on technological aspects across the business
- convey technical messages to a non-technical audience in a clear, easy-to-understand, unambiguous, and convincing manner
- Business Acumen: strong understanding of various business cycles and processes, sensitivity to and understanding of business priorities
- Technology/Software: comprehensive technological skills, understanding of data management, processing, design and implementation of complex systems, software applications, cloud platforms, and outsourced systems
- Interpersonal Skills: well-organized (ability to multitask and meet tight deadlines), methodical, self-motivated, proactive, work comfortably with senior business leadership and in a collaborative setting, strategic and creative thinker with a keen eye for detail, as well as able to stay calm at times of uncertainty and stress
- Leadership/People Skills: people person and a proven leader who can influence senior business leadership as well as inspire a cross-functional group into following a unified direction
- Working in an international and multi-cultural environment with fluency in English (French is a plus)
IMD is a top-ranked business school based on the shores of Lake Geneva in Lausanne, Switzerland. We are the experts in developing leaders and transforming organisations through high-impact executive education. IMD’s unique environment enables the recruitment of the best people to meet its objectives.
How to apply
If you have the above skills and would like to work in our stimulating environment, please send your complete application file (letter of motivation and resume in English, copies of your work certificates and diplomas) to [email protected].
A valid Swiss work permit or Swiss or EU-25EFTA citizenship is required for this position.