Training courses: developing effective and high-impact training courses
Training courses are essential for any corporation or organization, especially as talent retention and staff development have become key components of the growth and sustainability of organizations. Indeed, in today's extremely competitive environment, which also affects not-for profit organizations, training courses ensure that the workforce remains up-to-date with key technologies, knowledge and skills. The Training Manager, therefore, in full cooperation with the Human Resources department, needs to put together a comprehensive portfolio of training courses addressing multiple and strategic needs for the organization.
Business schools and other organizations offer a multitude of different executive training courses. Some focus on specific skills required to perform a particular function. Examples include project management training, business analyst training, finance courses or marketing classes. Such training courses ensure that corporate functions have the best-in-class employees able to carry out their specific function to the highest possible level.
Management training courses, in contrast, help executives to develop their overall strategic management and leadership skills, in order to lead teams and business units more effectively. Cross-functional training courses are also used for employee development, for example to help high-potential functional leaders move into general management. Such training courses may address, for example, international business management, business development strategy, conflict resolution skills or negotiation.
Before deciding which training courses are suitable for a company, a thorough assessment of the company's training needs and objectives must first be performed. By defining exactly which training courses are required at individual, departmental and organizational levels, the Training Manager will be able to identify courses aligned with the strategic objectives of the organization.
When putting together a portfolio of training courses to offer to executives, the Training Manager should keep in mind the following elements:
- Training courses should be credible. Look for corporate training offered by respectable institutions, such as top business management schools.
- Training courses need to be practical, meaning that the knowledge and skills acquired by the employees must be applicable to the organization, and easily implemented. Even better is when training courses can be tailored to the organization.
- Training courses should be regularly updated. Old information or techniques tend to hinder training courses and lower the impact of the training.
- Training courses have to be measurable. All training courses should as a consequence have a strong individual and collective evaluation and measurement system, which will be analyzed in real time to ensure their effectiveness.
A final aspect to highlight is that successful training courses constitute an excellent tool in the retention of key employees and are therefore an essential component of an organization's talent development program.
Program for corporate learning professionals
Want to drive effective corporate learning strategies?
Discover how IMD's Organizational Learning in Action program can help you with company training programs - download the free brochure now!
Looking for executive training courses? How about IMD's:
- Leadership courses for young managers
- Executive training program for high-potential managers
- Executive Master Business Administration (EMBA) program
- Business classes for future business leaders
- Personalized business and leadership coaching
- Leadership training program for experienced managers
- Leadership program for women
- Management training courses for business leaders
- International business management training for senior executives
- Strategic marketing classes
- Strategic finance training
- Training for the education executive
- Corporate governance courses for board members
- Training on family businesses issues
- Custom company leadership programs
- Or use our Program Finder to find your perfect executive training courses!