Negotiations training: Reaching higher ground with value-added negotiations training
Negotiations training is essential for acquiring effective negotiation skills that are so paramount in today's complex business environment. On the one hand we are living in the age of globalization and increased interconnectedness, and on the other we are increasingly operating across borders and frontiers. This requires a high degree of cultural sensitivity and sound negotiations skills. These skills can be acquired through appropriate negotiations training.
Negotiations skills can be taught
Even though it is often believed that negotiation skills are innate, this myth has been successfully refuted by good business schools that are able to deliverer lasting and impactful results for executives at all levels. These institutions understand the value of effective negotiations training in the business environment and the impact it can have on both internal and external business operations.
Negotiations training programs should provide valuable insight into negotiations best practice and the techniques employed by effective negotiators in order to conduct complex negotiations. Effective programs possess two essential and interconnected components: the conceptual understanding of negotiations, and how to apply this acquired knowledge and understanding in practice. Such training programs allow participants to conceptualize the so-called negotiations ‘game' and learn how to shape its rules, steering the negotiation process in the desirable direction for their team, department or company at large.
Reaching a desired outcome
Besides coaching executives on how to think about negotiations and preparing them for this process, effective negotiations training programs also enable participants to understand and manage conflict, often a residual of the negotiations process. Foreseeing such potential conflicts, often based on conflicting interests, is part of successful risk management during the process of business negotiations. Sound conflict resolution skills are also essential. Executive programs can provide the required framework for analysing the plethora of interests involved and the ways of finding a desirable outcome.
Key components in negotiations training
Needless to say, a conceptual understanding of the negotiations ‘game' is not sufficient to conduct negotiations successfully and reach a desired outcome. The second and essential component of a solid negotiations training program is the ability to apply the theoretical knowledge in a practical way. This can be achieved in a variety of ways, including use of insightful and relevant case studies, and via interactive sessions and simulations where the program's participants will be asked to put their learning into practice. Through this interactive component of the program, the participants will have a chance to use persuasion and influence as key components of the process of effective negotiations.
In summary, high value executive negotiations training will help you to:
• Think strategically about the process of business negotiations
• Properly prepare for effective negotiations
• Understand and manage conflict that is bound to arise
• Communicate effectively during negotiations
• Persuade and influence
As an executive operating in a complex business environment, you will greatly benefit from value-added negotiations training.
Boost your leadership performance
Ready to be the leader you can be?
Discover how IMD's High Performance Leadership program helps you leverage your core leadership style - download the free brochure now!
Looking for business and negotiations training? How about IMD's:
- Leadership courses for young managers
- Executive training program for high-potential managers
- Executive Master Business Administration (EMBA) program
- Business classes for future business leaders
- Personalized business and leadership coaching
- Leadership training program for experienced managers
- Leadership program for women
- Management training courses for business leaders
- International business management training for senior executives
- Strategic marketing classes
- Strategic finance training
- Training for the education executive
- Corporate governance courses for board members
- Training on family businesses issues
- Custom company leadership programs
- Or use our Program Finder to find your perfect management training courses with negotiations training!