|Date||Friday, August 16, 2019|
|Time||10:00 - 12:00|
Exclusive SLAC Tour for IMD Alumni
As one of 17 Department of Energy national labs, SLAC pushes the frontiers of human knowledge and drives discoveries that benefit humankind, invent the tools that make those discoveries possible and share them with scientists all over the world.
Running under Highway 280 in Silicon Valley, SLAC's 2-mile-long particle accelerator is the lab’s backbone. Once the scene of major discoveries in particle physics, today it generates the world’s brightest X-rays for our revolutionary X-ray laser, the Linac Coherent Light Source (LCLS).
The IMD Alumni Club of Silicon Valley has organized an exclusive, private tour of the lab and LCLS for alumni club members.
- 10:00 am Arrival and Welcome, SUSB Lobby - Bldg 53
- 10:05 am SLAC Linear Accelerator, Klystron Gallery Visitors Alcove. The Klystron Gallery is a 2-mile building that sits above the linear accelerator. It houses 284 klystrons which power the accelerator, pushing electrons 99.9999999% the speed of light down the tunnel to feed LCLS.
- 10:25 am Linac Coherent Light Source, Far Experimental Hall - LCLS is the world’s first hard X-ray free-electron laser that takes snapshots of atoms and molecules at work, revealing fundamental processes in materials, technology and living things. These snapshots can be strung together into movies that show chemical reactions as they happen.
- 11:00 am Kavli Institute for Particle Astrophysics and Cosmology, 3D Visualization Lab Building 51 - This 3D visualization lab is where researchers use data gathered from sources all over the world to test theories about dark matter, dark energy and the formation of the universe.
- 11:30 am Presentation: Industry Partnerships and Opportunities SUSB Trinity Rooms A-B
- 12:00 pm Depart SLAC
This exclusive tour is reserved to IMD Alumni only and limited to 20 participants. For security purposes, advanced registration is required. RSVP now.
Sand Hill Rd
Menlo Park, CA
|Registration Deadline||Thursday, August 15, 2019|